Skip to main content

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG! Full on Fangirl for Deadpool2

Yes, I know I am forty-something, and  yes, I know the word "fangirl" is an insult to womanhood everywhere, but, who cares?! OMG, OMG, OMG, Deadpool is back and as bad as he wants to be! Nothing gets my blood pumping like Ryan Reynolds in a tight red and black superhero outfit.... okay, except Christian Bale as Batman (yes, he will forever be my dark knight) and Christopher Reeve as Superman (sorry, Henry Cavill, you're good, too). But Deadpool, oh, sweet, foulmouthed, tragic anti-hero, Deadpool. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

And to think, today, for diStraction Saturday I was gonna blog about King's Blossom Blast alleviating my SAD. Ha! That is just sad. But nothing, NOTHING, has me anticipating summer like Deadpool 2.

Why I love Deadpool? Here's my top 5 reasons:

1. He's played by Ryan Reynolds.

Go obvious early, right? When it comes to the wise-cracking anti-hero, nobody does it better. Yes, please, insert Carly Simon song here. Don't believe me? You need look no further than The Hitman's Bodyguard for Reynolds's ability to take an unlikeable character and make him oh so charming. Not to mention he's built like a brickhouse. Ladies, you know what I'm talking about. If ever there were a superhero Reynolds was "built" to play, it's Deadpool. His pretty shines through even the pizza face.

2. He's foulmouthed AF.

Don't go in for the boyscout superhero? Neither do I. Before Deadpool, Batman was my superhero crush. Why? He's so very dark. There's no sunshine and lollipops for Batman, nor is there for Deadpool. AND Deadpool says what I feel like normal people would say when faced with the same situations. I know he's not the kind of superhero you'd want to take the kiddies to and that's exactly what I love about him. He's a grown-up superhero. No white wash over his origin story.

3. He isn't pretty and neither is his girlfriend

I don't mean to question the indubitable beauty of Vanessa Carlysle or the actress who plays her, Morena Baccarin. But VC is no Lois Lane or Vicky Vale. She's a former prostitute for goodness sakes and that makes her beautiful in my eyes. Y'all know my hatred of the gatekeepers complex and the "good girls don't" crap that goes along with it. That combined with her unconditional love of Wade Wilson--cancer and then pizza face and all, makes them the power couple of the politically correct. They are both hot messes and that makes them beautiful to me on all levels.

4. Red and Black

Deadpool's suit is sick. Not the garish red and blue of the Man of Steel, nor the basic black of the bat, Deadpool is a fashionistas hero. Wade Wilson is dressed to impress. Maybe making up for the ugliness underneath, who's to say, but only superhero better dressed is the Devil of Hell's Kitchen....sorry, Deadpool, had to say it.

5. He's no hero, even though he is.

Despite his objections to the contrary, Deadpool does what's right not because of some higher calling but simply because it IS right. That he never strikes that "superhero" stance, nor does he lecture us on what is right, he does the darn thing, even when he doesn't want to. He has no manifesto. He doesn't think of himself as good and yet he is which is far harder to achieve than a hero who is good for goodness sake.

What the new trailer at your own risk. It's definitely NSFW and it's not rated-G or even PG for that matter. But I, for one, can't freaking wait!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Few, the Proud, the Forgotten....and the Really Forgotten

Let me preface this article by saying I am in no way, shape, or form trying to discount the battle of ANY cancer sufferer or survivor anywhere ever. It is my intent to make peace with MY experience and mine alone. Stay strong, brothers and sisters! It's #TellItTuesday here on It's Complicated and Clean!, the day I open a vein....no, not a vein, an  artery  and let the blood of my meandering existence spurt all over my laptop. There's something about me a lot of folks don't know and it's something I don't often talk about: I am a cancer survivor. Why would I keep this fact to myself? Doesn't make sense, especially in this day and age when we're all trying as best we can to throw money and attention at an insidious disease that not only robs people of their futures, but of their dignity, their hope, and more often than not, their livelihoods and nesteggs. Thanks, broken US healthcare system! First of all, I never want to appear to capitalize on my

Making a Difference Just Trying to Be Good

Being firmly rooted in  Gen X , I can't tell you how surreal it is to read Tweets from the Dalai Lama . Though given what I understand of  Buddhism , his Twitter presence makes perfect sense. Wisdom isn't something to hoard or make accessible to an elite few. Wisdom is to be shared and built upon through democratization. And as good wisdom usually is, one of his latest Tweets is perfect in its simplicity: "The basic foundation of humanity is compassion and love. This is why, if even a few individuals simply try to create mental peace and happiness within themselves and act responsibly and kind-heartedly towards others, they will have a positive influence in their community." -- The Dalai Lama It's the last two words that, to me, resonate the most, "their community." I've admitted often enough to feeling as though I'm screaming into a void, but one reason I stay part-time at the EDJ is not only the supplemental income, but also the feeling