Skip to main content

Making a Difference Just Trying to Be Good

Being firmly rooted in Gen X, I can't tell you how surreal it is to read Tweets from the
Dalai Lama. Though given what I understand of Buddhism, his Twitter presence makes perfect sense. Wisdom isn't something to hoard or make accessible to an elite few. Wisdom is to be shared and built upon through democratization. And as good wisdom usually is, one of his latest Tweets is perfect in its simplicity:

"The basic foundation of humanity is compassion and love. This is why, if even a few individuals simply try to create mental peace and happiness within themselves and act responsibly and kind-heartedly towards others, they will have a positive influence in their community." -- The Dalai Lama

It's the last two words that, to me, resonate the most, "their community." I've admitted often enough to feeling as though I'm screaming into a void, but one reason I stay part-time at the EDJ is not only the supplemental income, but also the feeling I get being there. No, not the soul-crushing pain of our current fast-food healthcare system....
Pshhht, that'll be one sinus infection special with a side of sciatica pain meds, do I have your order correct?

No, definitely not that feeling, but the feeling when someone comes to me with a real pain, desperation, or fear I can solve. Then my inner Buddhist kicks in and reminds me to treat this person with compassion: Think right, speak right, act right. And if I made this person's life just a little easier for even the few minutes I get to spend with them, then I know I have done good by being good. Hopefully they pass it along and when/if they do, that's how we all have the power to change the whole world, one small, community-based impact at a time.

But Cindy, you say, I don't have a job like that. I am not faced with people I can help in that way. I work in ___________ (fill in "an office", "customer service", "IT", "janitorial services", "actual fast food", etc.) But there's where you are wrong, my friend. You have the choice every day to treat others with kindness, respect, and compassion. A Roy Rogers clerk name Khazim, who cheerfully helped me at the drive-thru, comes to mind. I fully appreciate the man has a crappy, crappy, crappy, crappy job, but he did it with good cheer and genuine concern for my customer experience. I wasn't having a great day, but Khazim cheered me up and I know I went forth about my day in a better place just because the drive-thru clerk was nice to me. You can make someone's day with just a smile, a please/thank you, or a sincere "How can I help you?". It's easier than you think.

And the beauty of what the Dalai Lama is saying is that you don't even have to be successful with every attempt to be the best version of yourself. I can tell you I failed spectacularly a couple weeks ago, perhaps when it mattered most to someone in real pain (though in fairness, I deserve to make this guy's list when he gets to step 8....just sayin').

Hey, we are all human and prone to stumbling, but thinking right, speaking right, and acting right becomes a habit. The more you try to be good, the more you will do good, here in your own home. Local action, global results. Don't make me go all It's a Wonderful Life on y'all. Go forth and commit random acts of kindness. Do what you feel in your heart is right. You won't regret it, even if it's just for the selfish reason that it feels really freaking awesome.

Getting over the desire for that feeling....well, that's another lesson, and if you learn how, please let me know ;)

Namaste,
Cindy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG! Full on Fangirl for Deadpool2

Yes, I know I am forty-something, and  yes, I know the word "fangirl" is an insult to womanhood everywhere, but, who cares?! OMG, OMG, OMG, Deadpool is back and as bad as he wants to be! Nothing gets my blood pumping like Ryan Reynolds in a tight red and black superhero outfit.... okay, except Christian Bale as Batman (yes, he will forever be my dark knight) and Christopher Reeve as Superman (sorry, Henry Cavill, you're good, too). But Deadpool, oh, sweet, foulmouthed, tragic anti-hero, Deadpool. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. And to think, today, for diStraction Saturday I was gonna blog about King's Blossom Blast alleviating my SAD. Ha! That is just sad. But nothing, NOTHING, has me anticipating summer like Deadpool 2. Why I love Deadpool? Here's my top 5 reasons: 1. He's played by Ryan Reynolds . Go obvious early, right? When it comes to the wise-cracking anti-hero, nobody does it better. Yes, please, insert Carly Simon song here. Don&#

The Few, the Proud, the Forgotten....and the Really Forgotten

Let me preface this article by saying I am in no way, shape, or form trying to discount the battle of ANY cancer sufferer or survivor anywhere ever. It is my intent to make peace with MY experience and mine alone. Stay strong, brothers and sisters! It's #TellItTuesday here on It's Complicated and Clean!, the day I open a vein....no, not a vein, an  artery  and let the blood of my meandering existence spurt all over my laptop. There's something about me a lot of folks don't know and it's something I don't often talk about: I am a cancer survivor. Why would I keep this fact to myself? Doesn't make sense, especially in this day and age when we're all trying as best we can to throw money and attention at an insidious disease that not only robs people of their futures, but of their dignity, their hope, and more often than not, their livelihoods and nesteggs. Thanks, broken US healthcare system! First of all, I never want to appear to capitalize on my